Cambodian PM removes city governor for shooting allegation
Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 14:01
"Prime Minister Hun Sen signed a letter on Monday to remove him (Chhouk Bundit) from the post to enable the court to carry out investigations into the case," Svay Rieng province deputy governor Svay Rieng told Xinhua news agency Thursday.
On March 5, the Svay Rieng Provincial Court issued a letter to summon Chhouk Bundit for questioning for his role in the alleged shooting of three garment workers on February 20.
Chhouk Bundit's whereabouts is unknown at present.
The shooting incident took place at the Manhattan Special Economic Zone (SEZ) situated in Svay Rieng province's Bavet city, where some 3,000 workers from three factories – Kingmaker Footwear, Kaoway Sports and Sheico – were staging a protest seeking salary increase.
The three victims were 21-year-old Buot Chenda, who was shot on the chest, and Keo Nea and Nuth Sakhorn, who incurred only slight injuries.
Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on March 1 that Chhouk Bundit was 'the only suspect' in the shooting.
Svay Rieng is located some 167 kilometers Southeast of Phnom Penh and bordered by Vietnam.
Garment industry is Cambodia's largest source of income. The industry earned a total revenue of US$4.24 billion (RM12.8 billion) last year, representing 87 per cent of the country's total exports.
The industry has over 300 factories across the country and employs more than 300,000 workers, a majority of whom are women from rural areas.
Low wages and poor working conditions have led to frequent strikes in the country, where workers earn a minimum wage of US$66 per month.