Possible BR1M 2.0 rollout by year-end
THE government may consider rolling out the second round of Bantuan Rakyat 1Malaysia (BR1M 2.0) handouts by year-end as the possibility is being explored by the Attorney-General's Chambers, Deputy Finance Minister Datuk Donald Lim Siang Chai said yesterday.
He, however, was apprehensive of the possibility saying that since the handouts were designated under the 2013 Budget, giving it out early could result in criticism from the opposition.
"The A-G Chambers is looking into the possibility. But it is difficult, if we give out earlier, you know, (the opposition) will make noise," he told reporters at the Parliament lobby yesterday.
He said if the government were to start the handouts next year, the cash aid would be distributed as early as January itself.
Lim confirmed that the application forms for BR1M 2.0 would be made available beginning Thursday by the Inland Revenue Board (IRB).
"The forms to apply for the RM250 aid for single individuals who earn below RM2,000 a month will also be available from Thursday," he said.
He said that those who already received the BR1M aid during its first round of handouts earlier this year are not required to apply again.
"But we are looking at around 10 per cent increase of national households to come in and receive this aid," Lim said.
The first round of BR1M was handed out to 4.35 million households, costing the government RM2.15 billion.
"But we had targeted 5.2 million households. I think many were not confident that the handouts were genuine last time around.
"This time, we expect these people to come forward and receive the aid," he said.
Lim went on to remind the people who are earning a low household income to avoid using "big cars" so as not to give an impression that they are well to do.
"There are many who applied, their salary fits the requirements, but they use expensive cars. If you use expensive cars, then you wouldn't need the aid.
"So, try not to use expensive cars," he said.